Philip Francis Lutzenkirchen became a household name during his football career at Auburn, but his impact and legacy extended well beyond his days on the gridiron. As a loving brother, son, friend and devout follower of Christ, he impacted his communities in many ways through service, leadership, mentorship and genuine compassion. Established in Philip’s memory, the PFL (Prepared For Life) Character Scholarship program equips outstanding young people with the tools and lessons he or she needs to leave a lasting and profound legacy through mentor development, education and scholarship.
Applications for our 2021 PFL Scholarship are closed. Click here to complete the PFL Scholarship Interest Form.
To become eligible, students who have signed the 43 Key Seconds Safe Driving Pledge will be asked to submit an essay (between 500-750 words) describing how they have been impacted by their experience with the Lutzie 43 Foundation and how they have applied the safe driving habits to their lives. Applicants must submit an official transcript, resume and mentor letter of recommendation as a PDF in the application or emailed to email@example.com. Applicants to the Lutzie 43 Foundation Scholarship Program must meet the following minimum criteria:
Details of the 2021 PFL Scholarship
If selected as a recipient of the 2021 $4,300 PFL Scholarship, you will receive $1,300 for your first year. From then, you will receive the remainder of the $4,300 over the remaining years of your undergraduate college education at a rate of $1,000 per year over no more than four years. If the applicant is currently enrolled in secondary school, the distribution of the scholarship will be discussed and planned out with the recipient.
If selected the recipient will be asked to support the Lutzie 43 Foundation in several ways over the remaining term of your scholarship.
- The recipient will be asked to write a blog post about winning the PFL Scholarship.
- The recipient will be asked to distribute 10 43 Key Seconds keys and lanyards to friends, professors, colleagues, etc. while sharing the 43 Key Seconds message. The foundation will provide the recipient with the keys to distribute.
- The recipient will be asked to share on their personal social media between 6-8 times about the foundation, our events and end of year campaign. The foundation can assist in providing copy and photos to share.
- The recipient will be asked to create a personal fundraiser for their birthday that benefits the Lutzie 43 Foundation.
- If able, the recipient will be asked to support of annual Road Race that takes place in early August, as a volunteer at the event.
You will be asked to send a year-in-review letter to Mike Lutzenkirchen each year to receive the rest of the scholarship funds. Please review each year’s expectations below.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions. Incomplete applications or applications missing elements will not be eligible to receive the PFL Scholarship.