Turning Tragedy into Purpose: An Upcoming 10th Anniversary and 43 Key Seconds
The Lutzie 43 Foundation is blessed by our donors, grantors, partners, presenters, sponsors and volunteers. What description fits your role with the Lutzie 43 Foundation? Were you blessed to know or meet Philip during his 23 years with us? Please take a moment to recall your favorite time with Philip. I bet you will smile!
…Or was Philip an unknown and you learned of Philip through the foundation’s effort to position our 43 Key Seconds safe driving initiative as the first nationally recognized symbol for safe driving? Whatever role you have chosen to be a part of our journey, without you, in 2023 we would not have:
- Awarded 15 $4,300 PFL (Prepared for Life) Scholarships totaling $64,000. To date we have awarded 94 scholarships totaling over $380,000.
- Hosted over 700 elementary school students at our Cobb County School District Adapted PE Field Days. If you are local to Cobb County, please consider volunteering at our 2024 Field Days, March 27th – 29th.
- Raised over $97,000 during our recently concluded 43 Day Year-End Fundraising Campaign.
- Deepened our partnership with the Georgia Department of Transportation delivering 10 Safe Driving Summits statewide impacting over 2,500 high school and college students.
- Distributed over 105,000 43 Key Seconds units to roadway users across the Southeast.
- Hosted our 7th Annual Golf Invitational and 9th Annual 5K Roadrace. Each event establishing participant or financial growth records for the foundation.
2024 brings us the 10th Anniversary of Philip’s passing and birth of the Lutzie 43 Foundation. We are proud of what Philip’s life story has led to: a growing foundation with passion to ensure no other families suffer from the loss of a loved one due to a poor decisions behind the wheel.
Whether roadway fatality statistics are released covering an annual or quarterly period, tracked over holiday celebrations – Memorial Day weekend, 4th of July, Labor Day weekend, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years – we continue to see the death rate rise quarter-after-quarter and year-after-year.
Based in Georgia where the foundation is based, during 2023, we saw headlines reading…
- This was the deadliest Labor Day weekend on Georgia roads in a least 9 years (The Atlanta Journal Constitution – September 5, 2023)
- Wrecks on Ga. roads kill 23 over long holiday weekend (The Atlanta Journal Constitution – Tuesday, November 27, 2023)
- Five dead, every day. Can we fix the crisis on our highways? (The Atlanta Journal Constitution – January 3, 2024)
Unfortunately, if we reported the states our constituents live in, related stories would support the ongoing crisis on our roadways.
In 2024, our mission continues to show Philip’s heart by giving back to our communities through the PFL Scholarship and our Adapted PE Field Days. But more importantly, we will work tirelessly to reduce the number of crashes, injuries and fatalities on our roadways due to distracted, impaired and unsafe driving. Our 43 Key Seconds safe driving initiative continues to gain recognition across the Southeast, but we need your help! However you define your role in being a part of this foundation, we ask that you broadcast 43 Key Seconds by having a Clear Head, Clear Hands, Clear Eyes and Click It! to your family, friends, co-workers, students, government and corporate leaders. We, the foundation, have the capability to collaborate with all these leaders to build a new way of protecting our roadways. Your voice in sharing 43 Key Seconds will ensure our Success.
Thank you for being a part of our journey. God Bless.